A fellow blogger from Twitter invited me to answer 10 questions about myself. I tend to like challenges such as this, so these are my answers. You can find Kia’s blog here. Apologies in advance for my terse answers but some of the questions are pretty straightforward.
1. What is one bible verse or inspirational quote that keeps you encouraged?
I’ve always loved this quote from Noel Coward: “My importance to the world is relatively small. On the other hand, my importance to myself is tremendous. I am all I have to work with, to play with, to suffer and to enjoy. It is not the eyes of others that I am wary of, but of my own. I do not intend to let myself down more than I can possibly help, and I find that the fewer illusions I have about myself or the world around me, the better company I am for myself.” I know it doesn’t seem very inspirational, but for me it’s about perspective. I’ve actually been much happier since I decided to live for myself rather than others.
2. What are some of your goals for 2015?
I hope to get published and have more paid writing opportunities. I also want to make more connections so that I can grow my readership and/or find an agent willing to work with me. If at all possible, I would like to apply for a writing residency/retreat/workshop. Perhaps I may pursue a relationship, but I don’t know.
3. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
First I wanted to be an author, not a writer but an author. Go figure. Then I went through the doctor/scientist/lawyer phase. Now I’ve come back full circle as a writer.
4. What’s the last book you read?
Bowie by Wendy Leigh
5. What is one thing that most people don’t know about you?
Most people in my life now don’t know my legal name. I’m still not telling.
6. What led you to create your blog?
I hoped to do the work in pop culture analysis and discussion I was not allowed to do in grad school. I also needed an outlet to be more open about myself and learn about myself as I went along. Of course, making connections and meeting like minds is always a goal as well.
7. How do you practice self-love?
I do cardio three times a week, keep myself surrounded by music, go for walks, treat myself to gelato and soak in the tub once a week.
8. What do you think most relationships lack these days?
I really wouldn’t know. I’m not in a relationship and have no place to tell anyone what lacks in theirs.
9. What are some of your worst characteristics?
I’m too trusting and forgiving. I need to learn how to get rid of toxic people in my life for good.
If you could have lunch with any person (alive or dead) who would it be and why?
Difficult question because I have to decided between a family member and someone I admire as an artist. But I think I would go with my great grandmother because I remember when I was younger, she recalled her family tree to me but I only remember her maiden name. I would love to hear her tell me about our family history again.
Here are the next blogger’s questions:
- What is your favorite book and why is it your favorite?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would you go and why?
- What do you like or dislike most about children?
- Do you have any artistic aspirations? If so, what are they?
- What does happiness mean to you?
- Where do you think you would like to live if you had the option?
- Have you ever made snow angels? If so, when was the last time you did?
- Is there a movie, song, story, etc. that always makes you cry? If so, what is it and why does it make you cry?
- Do you ever laugh at inappropriate things?
- What’s your favorite thing to do at an amusement park?
I’m not tagging anyone because I usually don’t, but if you’re a blogger and want to participate, feel free!